Monday 2 February 2009

Keep The Faith...

Two weeks ago I was ready to throw in the towel. I’d managed to meet the deadlines for both assignments A3 and A4 – just. I hadn’t slept in 2 days, I had everything that could go wrong, go wrong and I knew in my heart the work I submitted wasn’t of the highest standard and that bar a miracle I was facing referrals for both assignments. This lead to a week of soul searching as I questioned whether or not I was committed enough to my dream of working in the design industry and whether or not I actually had the skills to complete the course.

As expected I referred A3: Sounds like a Plan however the disappointment was eased with the news that I’d passed A4: Typecast at the first attempt. This has given me renewed faith in my abilities and I’ve now picked myself up, dusted myself down and said “bring on the new assignments!”

We’re now in week 2 of both A5: Builder and A6: The Bigger Picture and it’s becoming obvious that the organisation of my self study time will be critical to achieving a bare minimum pass. A5 sees us building our webpage we designed in A3 using a mix of XHTML and CSS. It’s obvious that this not going to be walk in the park especially after this morning’s Introduction to XHTML lecture. There was a hell of a lot to take in and a lot seemed to be gobbledygook. I’m sure my trusty copy of HTML Dog is going to be referred to a heck of a lot over the next few weeks!

A6 sees us learning about image manipulation techniques using Adobe Photoshop which we shall put into practice during A5. It also sees us working in groups to deliver presentations on an assigned Photoshop technique meaning I’m going to have to be even more organised than before as I don’t wish to adversely affect my partner Dominic’s grade or indeed mine for that matter.

The introduction of production schedules should keep me organised with the required workload and ensure I can finally put my time management issues to bed. Having sat and looked at both assignments in great detail this early on there shall be no repeat of the underestimating of the work required.

Closing thought – “You get what you put in and people get what they deserve” - from the song “Only God Knows Why” by Kid Rock

No comments: